Game Crashes and possible solutions

Game Crashes and possible solutions

Postby Korba » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Ensure you meet the requirements to run CK2.
Even if you do not meet the requirements but vanilla CK2 still runs, this is not a guarantee that the mod will or should run. The mod places additional stress upon a system in excess of what vanilla does.
NOTE: 2GB memory is insufficient for Elder Kings, at a minimum we recommend a 64-bit system with at least 4GB.
UPDATE: Many people with crashing issues appear to be on a 32-bit OS. At this moment in time we don't consider the mod compatible with 32-bit Operating Systems.

Make sure CK2 is patched up to the latest compatible patch: 1.103
Double check Steam to ensure you haven't selected "Do not automatically update this game."

Make sure the mod is installed to the correct location. Using the installer version will ensure this is the case, if you use the installer version, you DO NOT NEED TO MOVE THE FILES.
If you have used the .zip version the files should go to;
<your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
Example install path;
C:\Users\Korba\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\ElderKings
THIS CHANGE IS MANDATED BY PARADOX, IT WAS A CHANGE MADE WITH EITHER CK2 PATCH 1.06 OR 1.07, IT IS NOT UNIQUE TO THIS MOD AND IF YOU IGNORE THIS AND PLACE YOUR MOD ELSEWHERE, PLEASE DO NOT SEEK ASSISTANCE WHEN IT DOES NOT WORK

Make sure you aren't running any other mods with Elder Kings.
Double check this, don't just assume, mods are "saved" sometimes.

Install the latest driver updates for your graphics card or gpu chipset, your soundcard etc
Same as every other techsupport will tell you, always make sure you're completely up-to-date.
This is especially recommended for those using a laptop with an intel chipset; the latest drivers from Intel seem to have fixed many issues people were previously suffering from.

If you have Steam;
1) Delete the mod, all instances of it, including the settings folder.
2) Verify the integrity of your game cache through steam.
3) Redownload the Installer version if possible and reinstall the mod.

If you don't have Steam;
1) Delete the mod, all instances of it, including the settings folder.
2) Uninstall CK2 (the mod will not be uninstalled when CK2 is, it will be maintained on your system, hence the need to manually delete it beforehand).
3) Reinstall CK2 and reapply the latest compatible patch.
4) Redownload the Installer version if possible and reinstall the mod.
*If you don't want to uninstall CK2, you can try simply reapplying the latest compatible patch, but I can't recommend this.

ADDITIONAL HELP IN THE SPOILER
Spoiler:
Disable: Dynasty Shields Pack DLCs (these are unused in the mod and might contribute to memory usage)
It seems, if the pattern is anything to go by, that having less than 4GB of ram and running on a 32-bit OS can cause issues with Elder Kings. To get around the crashing issues, you should start disabling DLC. Disable them one at a time, loading Elder Kings up after disabling just one, then another until the crashes stop (so I would disable Sunset Invasion, then try to load the mod, if it didn't work, I would then disable the song DLCs, then the units DLCs).
Sunset Invasion
All song DLCs
Unit Pack DLCs
Norse Portrait DLC
Russian Portrait DLC
Mongol Portrait DLC
African Portrait DLC

Once it stops crashing, if you'd like to, you can start adding back DLCs from before the one that crashed, and see if you start crashing again. If you don't start crashing again, you can safely leave those enabled.
If it doesn't stop crashing, we have no other solution at this moment in time.

!!!Very Important!!!
DELETE ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF THE MOD BEFORE INSTALLING THE LATEST VERSIONS.
FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU INSTALLED 0.1.0/0.1.0a DELETE ALL INSTANCES OF THE MOD BEFORE INSTALLING 0.1.1. FILES ARE SOMETIMES RENAMED OR RENDERED REDUNDANT IN NEW VERSIONS, THIS CAN CAUSE CONFLICT ISSUES.
Korba

Re: Game Crashes and possible solutions

Postby Korba » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 pm

An important note to consider...
These crashes affect only a small % of people who download the mod. No one on the dev team is able to replicate these crashes without intentional user error; installing to the wrong location, running other mods at the same time, not using the correct CK2 patch or simply overwriting 0.1.0 with 0.1.1 of the mod. I myself own both the GamersGate and the Steam version at the same time and in testing on both versions I am unable to crash the game.
Unfortunately, due to the shear lack of information concerning these crashes and the lack of ability to replicate them without user error, we have no way of helping you fix anything beyond these steps.
Korba

Postby Infernal Inferno » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 pm

That's unfortunate, I myself have been having run-time errors, even after following the instructions. I'm sure a solution will present its self. Godspeed!
Infernal Inferno

Postby kaos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 pm

So, I've got this error in my log:
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:614]: Could not open file: gfx/models/Mapindicators/Eastern_Chancellor.xac
That's the only thing in there. Do we need to have bought all CK2 dlc to play this? It's not listed anywhere I can find.
kaos

Postby Korba » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm

You need Legacy of Rome or the optional non-Legacy of Rome compatibility patch;
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/att ... 1364824345
(Registering an account on the Paradox forums and then registering your game's cdkey with them is necessary to access that download)
Korba

Postby Sakaras821 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm

The game runs great in single player, but in multiplayer we are experiencing many out of sync problems normal about 10-15 min into the game.
Sakaras821

Postby SandMan » Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 am

My game is totally unplayable now. Not sure what happened, it gets as far the loading screen, but when it finishes and tries to bring main menu up, it just crashes, windows error message. Same thing with GoT mod. It was working perfectly fine yesterday, not anymore. I did notice Crusader kings did update today, perhaps it has something to do with old gods coming out today as well, not sure. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Elder Kings mod, but still no luck. Just doesn't seem to work after update, and no at the time I did not have old gods expansion. I did just purchase it right now though. Still not working with old gods checked or unchecked.
SandMan

Postby Amauri » Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 am

Yes, you will need to wait until we release a TOG-compatibility patch.
Amauri

Postby SandMan » Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks for the update :)
SandMan

Postby Infernal Inferno » Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 am

I tried playing this game today(5/28/13) which is the date that Old Gods was released as well as a patch and my game keeps crashing right after the start-up loading screen.
Infernal Inferno

Next

Return to Bug Reports